ICT and virtual communities of practice. A collaborative strategy for developing generic skills
- Herrera Gamboa, Oriel - Mellado Gatica, Alejandro - Mejías Lagos, Patricia - IEEE
- Datos de publicación:
- PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2016 XLII LATIN AMERICAN COMPUTING CONFERENCE (CLEI),Vol.,,2016
- Virtual communities of practice - generic skills - ICT
- Migración Web of Science 
- The development of generic skills in engineering education is a demand already established by the industry. In the Unversidad Catolica de Temuco, since 2008, a new educational model has been defined, which is a competency-based model. Therefore, each curriculum must define their programs in terms of both specific and generic skills. One of the biggest problems presented by the implementation of the model has been the process of validation of generic skills. This article reports a strategy that facilitates the faculty the validation process of generic skills. This strategy considers two key elements; the use of ICT and the generation of a virtual community of practice. In this community, faculty can access activities uploaded by their peers and can draw on the experience of these, as well as contribute with their own experience.