Psychometric Properties of the Maternal and Paternal Parenting Styles Scale in Chilean Adolescents
- Galvez-Nieto, Jose Luis - Polanco-Levican, Karina - Navarro, Braulio
- Datos de publicación:
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH,Vol.18,,2021
- parenting styles - parental socialization - psychometric properties
- Migración Web of Science 
- Parenting style has been related to a series of positive outcomes that extend into adulthood. The aim of this study was to analyze the psychometric properties of the maternal and paternal parenting styles scale (PSS-MP) in a sample of adolescents. A cross-sectional design was used, with a probability sample of 2683 adolescents (48.8% women) from 32 public, private, and subsidized schools in Chile. In total, four confirmatory factor models were contrasted, which was the best fit to support the originally proposed six-correlated factor structure. The factor invariance analysis reflected that the metric equivalence according to sex is present at the level of scale invariance. It is concluded that the abbreviated version of the PSS-MP provides sufficient evidence for use in the Chilean adolescent population.