Application of slope stability analysis methods. Study case: Al-barregas river, Pan de Azucar - El Rodeo section, Merida's terrace, Venezuela
- Quintero, Rosma - Rincon, Jorge - Corredor, Alfredo - Torres, Jesus - Belandria, Norly
- Datos de publicación:
- CIENCIA E INGENIERIA,Vol.42,307-316,2021
- Slope - numerical methods - safety factor - minimal retreat - terrace
- Migración Web of Science 
- The city of Merida is a seismically active zone due the presence of the Bocono's fault system, features that, added to the climatic-anthropic influence tends to generate instability issues on civil work. For this research, the slopes analyzed are the ones through Albarregas river, between El Rodeo and Pan de Azucar sectors. The Limit Equilibrium and Finite Element methods are applied with the purpose of analyze its behavior. To do that, are estimated in an approximated way the soil mechanical properties and Balasto's coefficient through geophysical data, generating eight slope models, then the safety factor is estimated on dry, saturated and pseudo-static conditions. Finally, the minimal retreat areas are appreciated on the crest of the slopes, for the study case, the greater retreat areas are, the slopes studied on the left margin of Albarregas river (El Rodeo-Campo Claro sector) and on the right margin (Campo Claro - Pan de Azucar sector). It is recommended the construction of draining systems that regulates the water infiltration in the slopes, as it to integrate the provided information from other research projects, with the aim of improving the territorial ordering in the Metropolitan area of Merida.