A checklist of subterranean water crustaceans from Chile (South America)
- de Los Rios Escalante, Patricio - Parra Coloma, Luciano - Peralta, Marcela A. - Perez Schultheiss, Jorge - Rudolph, Erich H.
- Datos de publicación:
- PROCEEDINGS OF THE BIOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON,Vol.129,114-128,2016
- Copepoda - distribution - groundwater - Malacostraca
- Migración Web of Science 
- Groundwaters are globally characterized by the presence of a high diversity of crustacean species. The current knowledge about these environments in South America is limited. The objective of this study is to compile a checklist of crustacean species reported from Chilean groundwaters. We found sixty publications about the groundwater fauna in Chile. A total of 46 species belonging to the families Canthocamptidae, Bogidiellidae, Falklandellidae, Phreatogammaridae, Paraleptamphopidae, Ingolfiellidae, Stygocarididae, Bathynellidae, Parabathynellidae, and Parastacidae occur between 24 degrees S and 50 degrees S. The present study indicates that it is necessary to conduct more research towards a comprehensive knowledge about the groundwater crustaceans of Chile.