Feeding of Micropogonias furnieri (Osteichthyes: Sciaenidae) in Budi coastal lagoon, southern Chile
- Bertran, Carlos - Jimenez, Claudio - Fierro, Pablo - Pena Cortes, Fernando - Tapia, Jaime - Hauenstein Barra, Enrique - Vargas Chacoff, Luis
- Datos de publicación:
- REVISTA DE BIOLOGIA MARINA Y OCEANOGRAFIA,Vol.48,193-197,2013
- Prey items - Micropogonias furnieri - Budi coastal lagoon
- Migración Web of Science 
- The aim of this study was to determine the feeding of Micropogonias furnieri (n= 256 of commercial size over 25 cm) during austral summer and winter 2004. During the summer period anchoveta Engraulis ringens was the main prey item in terms of percentage of frequency (%F), percentage of weight (%P) and percentage of Index Relative Prey Importance (%IRI); on the other hand, during winter aquatic plants (i.e. undigested remnants of Myriophyllum aquaticum) were the main prey. Therefore, M. furnieri may act like an opportunistic omnivorous fish similar to that described for population from Rio de la Plata (Argentina).