Arcobacter butzleri survives within trophozoite of Acanthamoeba castellanii
- Villanueva, Maria P. - Medina Schwerter, Gustavo - Fernandez, Heriberto
- Datos de publicación:
- REVISTA ARGENTINA DE MICROBIOLOGIA,Vol.48,105-109,2016
- Arcobacter butzleri - Acanthamoeba castellanii - Survival - Environmental reservoir
- Migración Web of Science 
- The survival of three Arcobacter butzleri strains inside Acanthamoeba castellanii was assessed using axenic cultures of A. castellanii that were inoculated with the tested strains and incubated at 26 degrees C under aerobic conditions for 240 h. The behavior of bacteria in contact with amoebae was monitored using phase contrast microscopy. The bacterial survival rate within amoebae was assessed through counting colony forming units, using the gentamicin protection assay. All A. butzleri strains were able to survive during 240 h within the amoebae, thus suggesting that (i) A. butzleri resists the amoebic digestion processes at least for the analyzed time; (ii) that A. castellanii could serve as an environmental reservoir for this bacterium, probably acting as a transmission vehicle for A. butzleri. (C) 2016 Asociacion Argentina de Microbiologia. Published by Elsevier Espana, S.L.U.