Urban dynamics and transition to metropolitan spaces: the Valdivia case and Rios Region, Chile
- Maturana, Francisco - Peña Cortés, Fernando - Ramírez Carrasco, Francisco - Telias, Magdalena
- Datos de publicación:
- URBE-REVISTA BRASILEIRA DE GESTAO URBANA,Vol.11,,2019
- Valdivia - Medium-sized cities - Urban sprawl - Verticalization
- Migración Web of Science 
- The process of urbanization advances rapidly and affects multiple portions of the world. In this way, some medium-sized cities have begun to demonstrate metropolisation of their spaces. This article seeks to understand the dynamics of population growth, as well as constructed and functional surface, in different economic areas of employment in the city of Valdivia, Chile. There is a delay in the growth rates of this city, both in a regional and national magnitude. This is considered beneficious given it avoids polarization of its region. Also, there is an incipient real estate growth for an outsourcing of their productive activities, which should be considered as a wake-up call for planners and the future of sustainability.