Development of novel bio-based epoxides from microalgae Nannochloropsis gaditana lipids
- Hidalgo, P. - Navia, R. - Hunter, R. - González Quijon, María - Echeverria, A.
- Datos de publicación:
- COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING,Vol.166,653-662,2019
- Microalgae lipids - Epoxidation - Nannochloropsis gaditana - Biobased epoxy blends
- Migración Web of Science 
- The objective of this research was to investigate the development of novel bio-based epoxides from microalgae Nannochloropsis gaditana lipids, which were extracted using hexane, petroleum ether and methanol:chloroform (2:1 v/v). In lipids epoxidation, conversions of 90.9%, 99.3% and 87.6% of epoxidized microalgae lipids (EML) were obtained for lipids extracted using these solvents. The mechanical properties of EML in blends with bisphenol A diglycidyl ether (DGEBA) show that the elongation at break increases and tensile strength decreases. Moreover, an increasing in the final maximum degradation temperature and a decrease in the glass transition temperature (Tg) were observed in the blends.