DISCUSSION ABOUT THE PRESENCE OF EUROPEAN WITCHCRAFT AND MAPUCHE SHAMANISM IN A SHORT STORY BY MARTA BRUNET
- Manuel Rodriguez, Jose - Quidel Lincoleo, Jose
- Datos de publicación:
- Acta Literaria,Vol.,127-153,2016
- Chilean narrative - European wicthcraft - Machi in literature - gender and literature - shamanism
- Migración Web of Science 
- The witch was for centuries strongly chased in Europe. Women of all the ages were accused of practicing witchcraft, even for some of their closest. They were tortured, hung and burnt, and those were only some of the punishments that were threatening them. In our comment we will show how the image of the European witch contaminates the characteristics of the Machi, based on a short story by Brunet, emulating to the woman who does pact with the demon, without considering the radical difference. In addition, we will show, with which type of shamanic practices the machi identifies herself, besides indagate in the tensions of genre that through it.