Standard culture of Paratanytarsus grimmii Schneider, 1885 (Diptera: Chironomidae), for its use in toxicity bioassays
- Encina Montoya, Francisco - De los Rios, P. - Vega Aguayo, Rolando - Mardones Lazcano, Alfonso
- Datos de publicación:
- BRAZILIAN JOURNAL OF BIOLOGY,Vol.80,735-740,2020
- Paratanytarsus grimmii - chironomidae - life cycle - bioassays
- Migración Web of Science 
- The management and use of native species under laboratory conditions is the main difficult for species proposal for its use in bioassays. The present study showed the results about management under controlled conditions of Paratanytarsus grimmii (Diptera: Chironomidae), that is a parthenogenetic species with wide geographical distribution. It obtained its eggs from a pre Andean river from Araucania region (39 degrees S), and it determined the conditions for larval rearing under artificial food, adults getting (manipulation), eggs (hatching sincronization) and larvae getting after hatching. The Pgrimmii life cycle had larvae that late 23 days in get the pupa stage (stage Ito IV), the adult within the next 48 hours deposits the eggs that hatched at 72 hours. It stablished laboratory conditions: incubation room temperature, water pH, and artificial feeding, photoperiod and larvae and eggs management techniques. In according to obtained results it managed all life cycles under laboratory conditions that can propose the use of this species as potential biological material for toxicity bioassays.