CHALLENGES OF PSYCHOEDUCATIONAL INTERVENTION FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER IN MAPUCHE CONTEXT
- Gutierrez-Saldivia, Ximena - Barría Navarro, María - Tapia Gutiérrez, Carmen
- Datos de publicación:
- REVISTA INCLUSIONES,Vol.5,13-27,2018
- Autism spectrum disorders - Psychoeducational intervention - Mapuche educational knowledge - Social and cultural diversity
- Migración Web of Science 
- The objective of this paper is to present the results of a theoretical reflection on the processes of psychoeducational intervention of children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in contexts of social and cultural diversity, specifically in the Mapuche context. Main ASD-related concepts and the most used methods and intervention programs are addressed from the review of scientific articles, guides and books. We support the assumption that psychoeducational interventions should be based on Mapuche families and communities own knowledge. The theoretical review reveals that it is possible to include, in the psychoeducational intervention, principles of the Mapuche family education methodology (process called kimeltuwCin), educational methods such as guxam, kimkimtun and guneytun and their own educational contents (Mapuche kimCin), such as the epew. It is concluded that new lines of research on the autism issues should be opened in order to make progress in psychoeducational interventions from a culturally sensitive perspective.