Considerations on the Fueros in The Araucaniad by Alonso de Ercilla
- Aguirre Ortiz, Javier - Gloel, Matthias - Garrido Monroy, Marcelo
- Datos de publicación:
- HIPOGRIFO-REVISTA DE LITERATURA Y CULTURA DEL SIGLO DE ORO,Vol.8,403-420,2020
- La Araucana - Alonso de Ercilla - Epics - Courtier factions - Humanism - Spanish court
- Migración Web of Science 
- This study offers a political interpretation of La Araucana y Alonso de Ercilla in the context of the different visions about the composition of the monarchy in the Spanish court, a division that was captured in the struggle of courtier factions for power. This way, the study dissociates from several traditional interpretations, such as glorifying the conquest, exaltation of the Mapuche or the beginning of the Chilean nation. The author uses the epics as a medium to show his particular political vision of the conquest. In this sense, we emphasize on the idea of the fueros, a peninsular concept applied by Ercilla on the Mapuche, according to us, in order to defend the idea of an integration of Arauco into the monarchy without a previous conquest, unlike in the rest of America. In order to do that, first, we explain the humanist formation of the author and his vision in the Mapuche to afterwards defend our hypothesis in the main part.