LINGUISTIC-CULTURAL MEDIATION IN THE CRIMINAL COURTS OF ARAUCANIA
- Le Bonniec, Fabien - Nahuelcheo Queupucura, Pamela
- Datos de publicación:
- REVISTA DE LLENGUA I DRET-JOURNAL OF LANGUAGE AND LAW,Vol.,279-293,2017
- intercultural facilitators - linguistic-cultural mediation - Mapuche - Araucania - Chile
- Migración Web of Science 
- The aim of this article is to understand the current occupation of intercultural facilitators in the criminal courts of the region of Araucania, from a socio-legal perspective, but also on the basis of the ethnographic work carried out in these courts. We highlight the role of the intercultural facilitators as linguistic mediators (translator-interpreter) but above all as cultural mediators in the age of the difference policies, granting this actor a fundamental role - that of a bridge that is not always recognised by the courts as we will see in two cases. Accordingly, the invisible work carried out by the intercultural facilitators implies several ethical-political challenges, not just within the framework of the contemporary debates on legal pluralism, but also in a broader sense centred around the recognition of cultural diversity in Chile.