Mechanisms for ensuring food security and sustainable environment through youth’s participation in agricultural education
- Ezhim, I. A. - Asogwa, V. C. - Ochu, A. O.
- Facultad de Recursos Naturales
- Datos de publicación:
- Sustainability, Agri, Food and Environmental Research, Vol.7, N°4, 281-296, 2019
- Educación agrícola - Seguridad alimentaria - Medioambiente
- Producción Alimentaria 
- Agricultural education play a central role in disseminating knowledge, skills and attitudes toward managing environmental resources which support food productivity. Its goals are basically achieved through formal education. Hitherto, youth have been involved in environmental stress mitigation efforts both at the school and community levels but are still short of adequate knowledge. Current trends of environmental stress and its associative impact on the food growing soils and space call for its integration into agricultural education programme. This paper identifies mechanisms for ensuring Food Security (FS) and Sustainable Environment (SE) through Youth’s participation in Agricultural Education. First, the paper discussed the concepts of sustainability as it affects the environment and food security. It also discussed constraints of FS and SE. Mechanisms discussed includes: curriculum content review and update, adequate funding by government, training and retraining of manpower, and involvement of youth clubs and organizations. Furthermore, use of mass media; extension services; school farm; and organizing workshops, seminars; and integration of population studies in the curriculum were also considered. Finally, it was suggested among others that government should review school curriculum and renew her commitment through designing and implementing policies and programmes aimed at ensuring FS and SE