Age and growth of two populations of Pugilina cochlidium (Gastropoda: Melongenidae), from Thondi coast-Palk Bad in Tamil Nadu-South East coast of India
- De los Rios, Patricia - Kanagu, Laksmanan - Lathasumathi, Chokkalingam - Stella, Chelladurai
- Datos de publicación:
- BRAZILIAN JOURNAL OF BIOLOGY,Vol.80,158-166,2020
- gastropods - Melongenidae - age - growth - Pugilina cochlidium
- Migración Web of Science 
- Age and growth of two populations of Pugilina cochlidium were studied. to address the lack of basic information on the growth rates and the size at sexual maturity of organism in a commercially harvested area, which will be important in considering the size limits to conserve this resources in future. In the present study the results showed more or less similar growth patterns in the males and females of two populations of Pugilina cochlidium. The age and growth estimation of these two populations of Pugilina cochlidium were completed using several methods and the outcome of one method will act as a check and control over the other using the FISAT 1 software. The values of asymptotic length (L-alpha) values obtained in the present study using various methods did not vary greatly. L-alpha values obtained for the first population of Pugilina cochlidium was 95.55 mm for males and 106.05 mm for females and the growth rate (K) for males (0.588 yr(-1)) and females (0.620 yr(-1)) was given by k-scan routine in ELEFAN. Similarly, the values of asymptotic length (L-alpha), obtained for second population of Pugilina cochlidium, was 96.15 mm for males and 106.05 mm for females and the growth rate (K) for males (0.540 yr(-1)) and females (0.950 yr(-1)) was given by k-scan routine in ELEFAN.